Monday 14 June 2010

Self Preservation Society

Just under 12 weeks to go until we're doing our best Kate Bush impression and all is not well in Team Disaster Area.

We've been to Bala for the middle distance tri, a fantastic weekend away in good company, with a little race thrown in. We managed a little jogette on the Saturday, averaging 9:30s for 10.5 lumpy miles of the run course while taking it nice and easy. After all, we were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.

Your correspondent woke promptly at 0230, taking his celtic location a little too literally by being at home to Mr Dai Orrhoea. Our good mate GOM was suffering similarly but made the sensible decision not to start the race. I, erm, didn't.

Racking? There was a Checkpoint Charlie, he didn't crack a smile. He told me my helmet strap was too loose. I tightened the fastener at the back of my helmet to lift it up a touch. He was happy. I think the other six were having breakfast. Hi ho. I racked the bike and loosened the fastener off again. Does he not know how many bikes I've crashed and never lost my helmet once?

The swim went OK; out into the stony waters of Llyn Tepid, the buoys are back in town, pass them muchly on the left hand side, I'm here for a long time not a good time.

Got out of the water, I should've walked away...but there's no danger, it's a professional career.

Onto the bike and up the hills. Can't eat, can't drink, what can you do? Oh, I just died on my arse tonight, must've been some kind of bug. Sat up, toured in, got off, packed it in. Be a good soldier and die where you fell. Not my A race...

When your thyroid doesn't work, you rely on taking a couple of pills each morning to keep you awake. Forgetting to take these on race morning doesn't even scrape into a list of my Top 10 Best Ideas at number 10. Go back to zero, take a pill and get well.

I'm out of Ironman Germany. I'm still going out to support, leaving Jeff Vader to house-sit. I'm as partial to a nice sausage as the next Kenneth Williams. I want to watch Mouse cross that line. I want to take the pee out of Wickett's shaved legs. I want to see GOM finally ride that bike in anger. I'm going to spend large parts of the long weekend running with Dave...

except, remember the stones at the bottom of Llyn Tepid? Dave seems to have broken his toe on one...

Building a henge, are we? That's a fantastic idea...

The Other A-H

No comments:

Post a Comment